Saturday, April 5, 2014

GTA Cluckin Bell Commercial

Prior to Joe and Casey's presentation on Wednesday, I never have considered that food is incorporated within video games and there is a deeper meaning behind it.  After viewing the violent and vulgar video games that they have shown, especially Grand Theft Auto (GTA), I was appalled.  I know that little kids play these video games, and in my opinion I think that it is inappropriate.  GTA is recently rated #10 in the 12 most controversial video games  around in our generation today.  I am sure that game makers (if I even used that term correctly) will be producing more.  These video games portray violence as "okay" in the minds of innocent young children.  In the video game, if one dies or if they kill someone, the game simply restarts.  In real life this is not the case.
 



After Casey and Joe assigned us a project to look deeper into the meaning in most Cluckin Bell commercials, I have found one that I feel, holds a lot of racial issues and was created by a GTA player.  I could not find it so the youtube video would be placed on here, just click on the link below.

Cluckin Bell Commercial

After I have watched the commercial, I noticed that the black male was the customer and the restaurant was white dominated.  After the man had consumed the Cluckin Bell food, he instantly became fat.  Then the video shows a group of people, almost like they are the head of this fast food chain, lifting their arms just like the Hitler salute that is so famous.  In my opinion, the black male was being considered like the Jews in this commercial during WWII.  Instead of starving him, they were fattening him up with the greasy food, eventually giving him a heart attack due to the high cholesterol and killing him that way.  These commercials are ridiculous and I can not believe that they are shown on a video game!

5 comments:

  1. Jordan, you make a really good point. I think the game is also trying to be subtle about the association of stereotypes and specific ethnic groups. I believe that could also be considered satire as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, prior to this, I didn't think the connection between food and video games was prominent. Personally, I believe the entire point of GTA is to be a satire on American culture. It is like a more over-the-top and less sexually graphic (in some cases) version of South Park. Except, GTA reaches a lot of people who don't understand that the game isn't meant to be taken seriously. I see little kids, like 10-13 year olds, playing this game!

    It's messed up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree -- I also never considered food being incorporated into video games and the meaning it holds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's possible video games has replaced baseball as the official "american pastime," in my humble opinion that's not progress. I never realized how much food advertisements were in these games.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't thought about your points from the Cluckin' Bell commercial but it makes sense to me. I think people are stereotyped by race and culture and to this day I don't see why it's still happening.

    ReplyDelete